Justice, Development and Peace Makers Centre Osogbo monitored the distribution of Palliatives and Food relief materials organized by the 21-man food and relief committee set up by the Osun state Government and other non- state actors in order to reduce the burden caused by the total lockdown of the state for 2 weeks to curb the spread of COVID 19 in the Osun State.
The distribution started on the 27th of April, 2020 with the collection of the Food relief materials such as Rice, beans, Noodles, Semovita, Gaari, Egg, bread etc from the warehouse in Osogbo. All the 30 LGAs including Area Office were grouped into 6 in which each group comprised 5 LGAs in the State. In each day assigned for each group to collect palliatives, the LGA Chairman, Representative of Christian Association of Nigeria, Muslim Society and NGOs make up the stakeholders that usually inspect the food at the warehouse situated at Osicol Building, Old Garage Area Osogbo before transporting the relief materials to different LGAs. 5 LGAs were always attended to per day.
JDPMC Monitoring Activities in 3LGAs of the State.
JDPMC monitored the delivery of relief materials from the warehouse in Osogbo to the direct beneficiaries i.e villagers across different communities in 3 LGAs of the State which are Atakumosa East, Atakumosa West and Osogbo LGAs of the State.
- ATAKUMOSA WEST LGA
It was the turn of the LGA on the 30th of April, 2020 where we monitored the delivery of the relief materials with another stakeholder’s present at the ware house. The materials were on the same day transported to Atakumosa West secretariat in Osu on the same day but was later distributed to the direct beneficiaries on the second day. During the distribution, the relieve materials were distributed to 7 zones which are Ibodi Zone, Osu Zone, Ibode Zone, Iloba Zone, Mount Carmel Zone, Itagun Zone and Ifewara Zone. Each of these zones has many communities under them. 70% of the relief materials were distributed to the community members while the remaining 30% were distributed to LGA staff and that of the LCDA in Atakumosa West LGA. We monitored the distribution of the relieve materials in some of the communities like Oke bode, Ibodi community, Iloba community. The Single registered compiled during Youth Employment and Social Support Operation (YESSO) project, a world bank assisted Programme was used for the distribution of palliatives in all the LGAs across the state. In all, a total number of 727 households benefited from the exercise in Atakumosa West LGA
LIST OF RELIEVE MATERIAL DELIVERED TO ATAKUMOSA WEST LGA
|1||10kg of Rice||146 bags|
|2||3kg of Beans||730 bags|
|3||5kg of Rice||292 bags|
|6||5kg of Gari||730 packs|
- ATAKUMOSA EAST LGA
It was the turn of the LGA on the 3rd of May, 2020 where we monitored the delivery of the relief materials to the stakeholder’s present at the ware house. The materials were on the same day transported to Odo Ijesa in Atakumosa East LGA but was later distributed to the direct beneficiaries on the second day. During the distribution, the relief materials were distributed to 6 zones which are Eti Oni, Odo Ijesa, Arowojobe, Iwikun, Alamuye, and Kajola Alago. Each of these zones has many communities under them. The LGA was given 70% of the relief materials from the ware house in Osogbo and were asked to come for the remaining 30% in days ahead (not specified). We monitored the distribution of relief materials to the community members in Iwikun, Kajola Alago, Igangan where beneficiaries expressed their satisfaction with the kind of relief materials given by the 21- man Palliatives and relief communities. In all, a total number of 688 households benefited from the exercise.
LIST OF RELIEF MATERIALS DELIVERED TO ATAKUMOSA WEST LGA
|1||10kg of Rice||139 bags|
|2||3kg of Beans||695 bags|
|3||5kg of Rice||278 bags|
|6||5kg of Gari||695 packs|
- For OSOGBO LGA: Although Osogbo received their relief materials on the 3rd of May, 2020 from the warehouse, they haven’t started the distribution as at the time of filing this report. They plan to start on Wednesday, 6th of May,2020. Below are items received for distribution:
|1||10kg of Rice||180 Packs|
|2||3kg of Beans||940 packs|
|3||5kg of Rice||376 packs|
|6||5kg of Gari||940 packs|
- 70 % of the relief materials got to direct beneficiaries without been diverted. This was as a result of the presence of our monitoring team in the LGAs.
- The single register used in the distribution of the palliatives were truly compiled from the grassroot as community members who benefited from the exercise testified that they do not know anyone who submitted their names i.e there was no partiality in the distribution.
- The distribution has nothing to do with political affiliations as the names were compiled ahead of the exercise.
- The relief materials given to the people were worthwhile as no one complained of the food staffs compared to the initial palliatives distributed few months ago.
- The involvement of CSOs, Religions and traditional rulers made the distribution exercise successful.
- The 30% portion of the relief materials given to the Stakeholders like LGA, traditional rulers, religious leaders made the remaining 70% available for the direct beneficiaries.
- In terms of distribution, we recommend that a moving vehicle should be dropping relief materials to each community rather than asking them to move to a cluster to collect it. This is very important for Atakumosa East LGA because their communities are far apart to one another. This can be made possible by using a truck to distribute the items.
Some Pictures from the monitoring activities.